April 2, 2009

Reuse: One Man's Trash is Another Man's Treasure

I came across a great site for finding the recycling programs that are available in your area. Visit local.com to find out what companies recycle which materials near you.

The Environmental Protection Agency has a waste management hierarchy that encourages us to reduce, reuse, recycle. It is important for us not to forget the reuse part of this hierarchy. There are many things around your house that you can reuse. Some ideas are: wash out and use butter tubs as Ziploc containers for left overs, the back of already used paper makes great scratch paper, use kiddie pool water for watering your plants, rinse out and use plastic water bottles over again, and many more...be creative! If you don't have or can't find a use for some old items try a swapping website. These let you trade the cds, books, movies, video games, etc. that you don't want anymore with other members who have materials that you are interested in. These can be really beneficial because not only are they giving you the tools to reuse instead of trash old possessions, but you can also find items that you actually want.

If swapping isn't for you, before you throw something in the trash try selling it on eBay or craigslist. You can make some money and help out the environment!

4 comments:

  1. Well I have to admit that I am not very good at recycling, but I really like the swapping ideas! Especially as I am preparing to move and have found out that I have accumulated a lot of stuff... thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew the swapping site existed. I think that it is way neat, thanks for introducing me to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone was throwing away a shoe rack and I took from the dumpster area for me to use:) That counts, right!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, that swap site isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I imagined it would only be things like broken lamps or one shoe, but there are some decent things on there...especially for a poor college student like me. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete